Another blog post i discovered which i love and its filled with info and fun stuff....this part i totally agree with what to bring with you from home to Dubai. When i used to work as a crew for etihad i totally missed these stuff and wished i could have known before....
For future EK cabin crew: what to bring along from home
- a lot of hair clips (there are some here in dubai but its not always the best ones, not the right color or size)
- stockings!! you can never have too many. it’s a good idea to bring a few pairs with before you scout the shops here to know where the best ones are
- money – the first three months you will not receive your full salary so it can get pretty tight depending on your determination to stick to your budget I had about 2000dhs that I brought from home, and with a relatively tight budget I managed…
- medicine – compared to South Africa there is not a big choice at all when it comes to cold & flu medicine, so pack something from home (as most crew tend to get a bit sick during training) and maybe something to build up your immune system as well (just make sure everything falls under the regulations of medicine that’s allowed in Dubai, emirates will send you a list on your profile page once accepted)
- a party dress or two :) even if you’re not into clubbing (like me) dubai has a way of getting you into a skimpy little dress and onto a dance floor, hehe
- something to make you think of home, photos, soft toys or anything really
- a laptop or ipad would be beneficial and DO remember to download skype BEFORE you come!! (as you are not allowed to download it here but you are allowed to use it? weird I know)
- cellphone – I brought my cellphone with and a pay as you go package with roaming for the first few days before I got to a local service provider to buy a new sim card. so that enabled me to make contact with my family and friends back home the first few days, as the room you get put in might not have internet yet and you might then be stuck without a phone or skype.
- most stuff you would need are available in dubai so the things mentioned above I would think are the most important